The Duzi-uMngeni Conservation Trust (DUCT) is a non-profit public benefit organisation championing the environmental health of the uMsunduzi and uMngeni Rivers. DUCT was established in 2005 by a working group concerned about the state of the uMsunduzi and uMngeni Rivers. In February 2006 the group formally registered DUCT as a Section 21 Company.
The Mission - "To champion the environmental health of the uMsunduzi and uMngeni Rivers."
Duct has eight strategic focus areas. These are:
- Minimization of faecal waste in the rivers
- Reduction of solid waste in the rivers
- Reduction of industrial pollution in the rivers
- Control and eradication of invasive alien plant vegetation on the river banks and in the rivers
- Improvement of land care and reduction of soil erosion in the catchments
- Reduction of water borne diseases in the rivers
- Improvement of management of mining operations in the Valley
- Implementation of an environmental flow schedule below the major dams, as provided for in the National Water Act of 1998
For more information on the extensive work DUCT are doing please visit their website here.